Horizontal CSS Menu

Snickerdoodles

We just love this recipe!  Not only does it make great Snickerdoodles (in small or fun jumbo size) but it's a awesome Sugar Cookie type substitute (just don't roll it in the cinnamon/sugar)....it also makes a great crust for fruit pizza.  We often find a single recipe is not enough or even a double.  Last time I made a quadruple batch.  Did you know that when you increase a recipe you don't always want to increase the spices (especially things like baking soda and salt)?  For example when I made a quadruple batch of this recipe I used:

6 cups flour
2 cups Sucanat
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon Real salt
20 Tablespoons coconut oil
2 Tablespoons Vanilla
4 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
egg replacer for 4 eggs

I kind of "play it by ear" depending on the type of recipe but a good rule of thumb is when you double a recipe don't double the spices.  When I say spices I mean:  Salt, Vanilla, Baking Soda or Powder, cinnamon and any other herbs or spices.  Sometimes you may want to increase these things at least a bit but just be aware....especially of strong items that could ruin your recipe like salt or even cinnamon.  Some is really good of these things but more is usually too much!  Be sure to look below the recipe to see how we make a very simple fruit pizza using this recipe as a crust!





Snickerdoodles
1 1/2 cup ground soft white wheat flour
1/2 cup Sucanat
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
5-7 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon real maple syrup
replacer for one egg
cinnamon and dehydrated cane juice for coating

Directions:
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix wet ingredients in measuring cup (make sure they're blended well). Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Using hands, form dough into a big ball. (If it sticks together well, then its the right consistency. If it's kind of dry and crumbly then add a bit of water, 1 Tablespoon at a time and mix it well.)

Form dough into cookie sized balls and roll into cinnamon/cane sugar mixture. Place on cookie sheet, (no need to grease). Flatten each ball a little bit. Bake at 375 degrees for about 7 minutes.



For Fruit Pizza:

You can make individual size ones (as pictured above) by just making a jumbo cookie.  Or you can use the whole batch of dough and make a full size pizza. (This will need to bake a little longer but you don't want to over bake it because it will get very crisp.  I like my crust....and cookies for that matter....to be chewy.  I use My Favorite Whipped cream recipe for the "frosting".....(I make this ahead of time so it can be in the fridge for at least 6 hours because it thickens up in the fridge after it's made).  Then just pick your favorite fruit and put it on top of that. 



7 comments:

Emily said...

Wooo-Hooo!

Can't wait to make these again this Fall.

Hope you are doing swell!!

Anonymous said...

May I ask why you don't use real eggs? We raise our own chickens. We have fresh eggs everyday and our chickens are grain fed. Thanks Angela

Tammie said...

Anonymous: Good question. I do think they are very high in protien and can easily be overdone. I think though not overused and comming from your own chickens that are well taken care of probably has some good benefits. I would not eat them every day though but maybe once or twice a week. I have thought about going back to a few eggs if I could get good ones or we could have our own chickens but I'm still not sure exactally how I feel about it can you tell;) I for sure think they are so much better if they are your own and you know how your chickens are taken care of.

Tammie said...

Sandi: I found with my oven they aren't really quite done after 7 minutes either but I usually take them out at that point and leave them on the stoneware sheet that I baked them on (because it holds the heat) for a few minutes until about cool then I take them off. They are the perfect chewy cookie that we all love that way.

But all ovens are different and not everyone has stoneware baking sheets. So if they turned out great to cook them a few minutes longer that works too! Mostly just letting everyone know that sometimes it works out to undercook a cookie to get the perfect chewy cookie! ;)

Krista said...

OK a quick question I am making these for a friend and I have never made anything like this, she is really healthy and these are great. But what is egg replacer I went to grocery store and all eggbeaters have egg in them than a egg sub also has egg in it? What do I use? And were would I find it? Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe!

Tammie said...

Krista: It's a powder Energy Egg Replacer is what it is called. You can find it at the health food store or you can just use 1 1/2 teaspoons corn starch mixed with 2 Tablespoons water for each egg. It's about the same thing.

Krista said...

Thank you:)